WHEN: Tuesday, May 17th, 7:00-8:30 pm Eastern Standard Time
SKILL LEVEL: A basic understanding of ceramics is necessary. No drawing skills are needed as participants can take a photo of their desired imagery and copy it with tracing paper.
15 spaces available
Sign Up by May 12th
If creating handmade jewelry is your jam, then join me for an evening of exploring surface design and decoration with underglazes. This class will be dedicated to exploring detail work as we create small blended areas of color, outline them with black underglaze using a fine line brush and finish the edges of our jewelry pieces.
If you signed up for my slab jewelry class, we will paint some of the bone dry pieces from that class. If you have your own jewelry blanks with smooth surfaces and are looking for a new way to decorate them with underglaze, then this is the class for you.
The first portion consists of pre-recorded videos which cover the following: my preference for working with bone dry clay, thinking about color and how it relates to your design, preparing the surface of the bird for underglaze painting, painting the first few coats of underglaze on the surface of the bird, creating designs and stencils for the bird, design transfer and color blocking.
I will set up a zoom call after the video links go out to answer any questions that may come up the week before this class and to discuss design ideas for anyone who wants to do that.
Participants will be sent several pre-recorded video links prior to the class which cover the following: my preference for working with bone dry clay, thinking about color and how it relates to design, preparing the surface of bone dry jewelry pieces for underglaze painting, painting the first few coats of underglaze on the surface of jewelry pieces, blending the background color on jewelry and creating designs. Class time will be spent transferring participant’s simple designs to the blended surface of their jewelry pieces and painting simple images on their surfaces.
- As practice, a simple leaf design will be included in your digital class kit. We will start by painting and outlining this design before participants move on to their own designs.
- Participants will finish their piece(s) on their own time.
- This 1 ½ hour class has a 15 minute window before and after class for questions and answers. The post class Q & A can be extended if needed to address additional questions.
- Participants must supply their own designs, brushes, underglazes and sgraffito tools.
- This class includes a digital class kit.
- The week prior to class, I will set up a zoom call to answer any questions that may come up to answer questions and discuss design ideas for anyone who wants to do that.
Keywords: Ceramics, Class, Classes, Jewelry, Underglaze